Saturday 3 August 2019

Anthony Horowitz: New episodes of Foyle's War?

The first episode of 'Foyle's War' was aired in 2002. The series was canceled after the fifth season (2008), but was revived in 2010 to run for another three years. A total of 28 episodes were created by screenwriter and author Anthony Horowitz.
Will there ever by another unexpected revival of 'Foyle's War'? In 2016 Anthony Horowitz said "It had to come to an end sometime. We went from 1940 all the way through to 1947 – and I told countless true stories about the war. I felt that there were no more true stories to tell about that period, I’d sort of covered pretty much every area."

But Anthony Horowitz seems to have changed his mind. “I’d certainly be up for a Christmas special  or two if anybody asked,” he told Radio Times in 2019, before addressing the 'missing year' of 1944. “It would actually make a whole series!” Horowitz recently wrote a short story, called 'Foyle's Last Case', as a Christmas special.

Foyle’s War starred Michael Kitchen as Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle and Honeysuckle Weeks as his ever resourceful driver Samantha (Sam) Stewart.

"Foyle’s War was a passion project for me from start to finish and I miss it to this day. It really cheers me up to think that Radio Times readers still hold it in such high regard," Horowitz said.

"I wrote the last episode of Foyle’s War in 2014, but no matter where I am in the world, people still tell me how much it means to them. And the repeats still get high viewing figures."

And in other news: Even Anthony Horowitz seems to read my tweets...

[Update 02 November 2019] New episodes will NOT be happening. It's simply too expensive, says creator Anthony Horowitz. ‘To be fair to ITV,' Horowitz concedes, 'it’s a cost thing. To do two 96-minute films set in the Forties or early Fifties is just so ruinously expensive and difficult. So I’m not bitter or angry with them, I quite understand where they’re coming from.’

[Update 15 February 2021] Some old news, newly found: Honeysuckle Weeks has also heard of Horowitz's idea for a spin-off series for Sam set in the 1950s. "There's been talk of her playing a landlady in a seaside boarding house," Weeks says. "I can see her growing into a Miss Marple sort of character dealing with all the characters coming to stay. I'd be very chuffed to do that. I hate to push people but maybe I should come up with a few ideas for it to help it along."

1 comment: